Though these forums are dead, I'd like to pass on my experience from when I decided to start carrying.
holy shit where to begin...
Budget budget budget, the gun is only price of admission, everything else costs $$$$
What to expect-
* Gun $300-$1000+ (from your bottom dollar hipoint, to a midrange glock, to a high-end fiveseven/1911/deagle)
* Ammo $10-$35/box of 50 (depending on caliber and quality you plan to shoot + carry ammo)
* Cleaning supplies $40~ (certain guns require more maintenance than others, but a $20 kit should cover you for atleast a year)
* Safe/lockbox $50-$150 (to secure the weapon when its off your hip)
* Holster $100-$150~ (iwb/aiwb since you plan to conceal, don't grab some AIO holster, spend the extra money up front and get a decent kydex holster from stealthgear, crossbreed, or aliengear)
* Extra mags $20-$30/ea (don't go off brand, magpull is alright, but try to stick to brand mags to prevent jamming/misfire issues)
* Nightsights? $100-$250 (Plan to carry every day? most guns come with stock sights that are useless at night)
* Flashlight/laser? not really needed.. but lmao why not $100-$200
* Club membership vs Range cost- if you aren't running off to the woods to shoot everytime, you could buy into a club to shoot for a month/year, or pay a one-off access fee. ranging from $50-200/yr or $10-30/one-off
-my edc concealed
* Gun- Glock 19 gen3 = $500~
* Holster- Stealthgear IWB mini = $129
* Nightsight- Trijicon Green nightsites = $130
* Flashlight/Lsser- Streamlight tlr4g = $230
* Carry Ammo- Federal Hydra Shok hollow points ($20 for a box of 20) = $20+tax (buy 2-3 boxes to learn the recoil, and a box to carry)
* Safe- biometric quickopen safe on my bedside = $120
ready for the range? not yet.
* Mags- like 4x glock 9mm 15rnd = $120 (nobody wants to reload after every mag at the range)
* Range Ammo- 10 Boxes of 50 American Eagle FMJ (Federal Ammo) = $120 (should last a month if you are a semi-active shooter)
* Cleaning Kit- ballistol, firm toothbrush, and a off the shelf $20 kit
After that the only thing I pay for is a $75/yr gun club/range membership + $50-$150/month ammo average. Higher the caliber, the more it costs to shoot in ammo.
Colion Noir really hits it on the head though..
* Depending if you know the size/caliber you want, research prices online, you can always buy online, and have it sent to a local FFL, pay a small receivers fee, and then off you go.
* Get your concealed permit first, as it should whitelist you on the buying process, and won't require you to wait to pick up your gun.
* Ammo can be sent directly to your house from online shops.
* budsgunshop is a pretty nice online outfit that sells new/used guns, and will help you price your needs.
* read the fucking manual when you get a new gun, field strip it over and over and learn how everything works before you chamber a single round.